24092018Headline:

Man, 66, seriously injured in explosion in private home

A seriously injured 66-year-old man was pulled free of the wreckage of a house in the northern Greek city of Ioannina by firemen on Sunday, following an explosion later attributed to a cooking gas canister. The rest of the family was spared because they had gone to church.

The man, who sustained extensive burns, was taken to the city’s university hospital and the wreckage of the home later combed with the help of a specially trained EMAK emergency services dog in case any other people were trapped under the rubble, since the family and neighbours were in shock and unable to provide clear answers. An investigation is now underway to determine the exact circumstances causing the explosion.

The injured man was a Greek expatriate living in Germany, who was visiting his family home during his holidays.