National Defense Minister Panos Kammenos rejected criticism on the ministry’s use of EU funds for migrants, saying on Monday that the expenditures were approved both by internal boards and by external accountants.
At a press conference, Kammenos addressed allegations by “Fileleftheros” newspaper for improper use of the funds, saying that the newspaper should have contacted the ministry for facts before publishing.
He said that the ministry had been allocated nearly 100 million euros of migrant aid to Greece.
“The 90 million euros spent out of a 100 million total have been audited by relevant boards of the National Defense General Staffs, and by certified accounting firms selected by competition, and in certain cases by the Greek Court of Audits,” Kammenos said.
Alternate Defense Minister Panagiotis Rigas said that he had met last week with European Commissioner for Migration Dimitris Avramopoulos, and the ministry’s proper use of funds was confirmed.
Referring to the Moria hotspot on Lesvos, Rigas said that the ministry was taking steps to relieve the overcrowding, and said the ministry’s research and construction unit would start working on the hotspot’s sewage system on Tuesday.